I needed that extra four digit number I never use as part of the Poulsbo zip code and so I asked The Google and, in return, got the US Zip Code website.
The site began with this introduction: The people living in ZIP code 98370 are primarily white. The number of middle aged adults is extremely large while the number of people in their late 20s to early 40s is large. There are also a slightly less than average number of single parents and a slightly higher than average number of families. The percentage of children under 18 living in the 98370 ZIP code is slightly higher than average compared to other areas of the country.
The website is filled with 98370 data from a variety of sources including the last U.S. Census, the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, UPS, Google and Yahoo all illustrated in a variety of colorful charts. Among the many facts about 98370 were these:
- The median resident age is 43 years old
- 55% head of households are single
- 69% of households have no children living at home (pay attention school district!)
- Most houses were built in the 1990’s or 2000’s
- 18% of the households are owned free and clear while 53% are carrying a mortgage
- Residents use public transportation more than most areas of the nation, but 82% still use a private vehicle to get to work
- 7% of the population works from home
- 44% of the population has a college degree
- 77% of school age children are enrolled in public schools, 14% in private school and 9% in no school (I don’t know how that’s possible with a mandatory school attendance law)
- 29% of households receive a retirement income, most of it from pensions and annuities
I wondered if other websites of community/zip code descriptors had the same data and so I checked this one which began with the description: 98370 is an upscale suburban zip code in Poulsbo, Washington (Compared to what? I wondered).
It points out our gender wage inequality: Men in 98370 earn an average of $42,555/year. Women earn only $24,792/year.
Analyzes our commute time: You might be interested to know that the average commute time to work for people living in 98370 is 33.3 minutes!
And provides an interesting factoid: 98370 Zip code is located in the Pacific time zone at 48 degrees latitude (Fun Fact: this is the same latitude as Munich, Germany!)